- 1h34m Never before had the world heritage committee been asked to list a site mainly because of climate impacts – and it wasn’t willing toThere are tens of billions of corals on the Great Barrier Reef that knit together to form a giant mass t
- 8h43m ShutterstockAfter much anticipation, the World Heritage Committee on Friday decided against listing the Great Barrier Reef as “in danger”. The decision ignored the recommendation of the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IU
- 12h29m "Great Barrier Reef is not being placed on the UN's list of world heritage sites that are currently in danger. Instead, the World Heritage Committee …
- 12h39m Australia on Friday gained enough international support to defer for two years an attempt by the United Nations' cultural organization to downgrade the Great Barrier Reef's World Heritage status because of damage caused by climate change.
- 14h10m Australia on Friday garnered enough international support to defer for two years an attempt by the United Nations cultural organisation to downgrade the Great Barrier Reef's World Heritage status because of damage caused by climate change. Unesco had recommended that its World Heritage Committee add the world’s largest coral reef ecosystem off the northeast Australian coast to the World Heritage in Danger list, mainly due to rising ocean temperatures. The Chinese host o
Australia accused of ‘censoring science’ after Great Barrier Reef avoids being added to World Heritage ‘in danger’ list15h40m Federal Environment Minister Sussan Ley says lobbying almost 20 nations led to the outcome as parties were convinced by the "merits of our argument". But scientists say they are concerned politics has eclipsed the science.
- 16h19m The Great Barrier Reef will not be added to a list of ‘in danger’ World Heritage Sites, in a decision hailed as a victory by the federal government but a missed opportunity by environmental groups. The 21 member countries of the UNESCO
- 17h29m Australia's natural wonder faces a battle to survive - here's a simple guide.
- 17h55m Federal Environment Minister Sussan Ley “absolutely delighted” in UNESCO’S decision to overturn a draft decision to list the Great Barrier Reef as “in danger”. Earlier this year UNESCO’s World Heritage Committee recommended the
Australia avoids Great Barrier Reef global embarrassment, but the dangers of climate change remain for the reef20h46m The Great Barrier Reef will not be added to UNESCO's "in danger" list this year, after environment minister Sussan Ley's whirlwind diplomatic effort won enough support. Despite the 2020 bleaching event, the reef has been in a period of recovery since 2019, and the most fast-growing (but also most fragile) corals have boomed, and coral cover in many parts of the reef has today returned to levels not seen since the 1980s. The Great Barrier Reef is experiencing a
- 22h23m Greenpeace Australia called Friday's World Heritage Committee vote "a victory for one of the most cynical lobbying efforts in recent history."JAKE JOHNSONJuly 23, 2021An intense lobbying campaign by the pro-fossil fuel Austra
- 1d The UNESCO World Heritage Committee announced Friday that it will not list the Great Barrier Reef as 'in danger,' it is asking for reports on how it will be protected moving forward.